"Error - unable to mount partition "/dev/hdc
This error means that the linux OS can't mount one of the tivo partitions.
1) Not using byte swapping - this includes using the mfstools 2.0 cd which does not enable byteswapping even if you choose the correct option in the boot menu. When booting from the nic_install cd, the default boot option is correct and does enable byte-swapping.
2) The disk may be locked - check the size of the disk as reported by the BIOS when it boots - if it detects as 9MB then it is locked.
3) The PC may not support/detect the disk correctly - check the size of the disk as reported by the BIOS>
4) If the hard drive over 137GB and you are using the custom LBA48 tivo kernel then you mayl need to use a LBA48 boot cd and enable byte-swapping.
5) If there are two hard drives in the tivo then you must use the A drive... it is not always obvious which one is the A drive.