Software Installation (all) - New install
This page documents the process of doing a PC install of a Turbonet, Airnet, or Cachecard by putting the tivo A drive in a PC and booting off a CD.
Note that with TiVo software version 3.x a turbonet card will work for the daily call without installing software - go into the tivo phone menu and set the dialing prefix to <comma><hash><4><0><1>. If there is a call waiting prefix then remove it. Note - that you have to reboot with the network cable attached before the daily call will work.
1) The TiVo contains sharp edges and an exposed power supply - take care and at your own risk.
2) It is strongly recommended that you have a backup of your tivo. You may have to use it. Creating a new backup will prevent shows from being lost if you have to restore.
Backup instructions can be found here:
1) Download the latest cd ISO image.
2) Burn the ISO image to a CD.
3) Insert the CD and reboot - make sure the PC boots off the CD. This is to ensure the boot order is correct. If you boot into Windows with a TiVo hard drive attached, Windows writes a signature to the first sector which prevents the TiVo from booting.
4) Install the TiVo A drive into a PC as the Secondary-Master.
It will also work as the Primary-Slave or Secondary-Slave but you will have to change the jumpers on the TiVo harddrive. It will not work as Primary-Master. If you have two drives, only install the TiVo A drive.
5) Boot off the CD again, press <enter> for the default boot option and <enter> and the login screen.
6) Run nic_install by specifing the appropiate driver to install (one of):
7) If it askes for permission to disable initrd then say yes. If you have a DTivo and you have not run tivoflash before then you need to run tivoflash after running nic_install. If you were previously running any software such as telnet, ftp, cachecard drivers etc then tivoflash has already been run - do not run it again.
8) Configure network settings:
- If you want to be able to find your tivo easilly on the network then set the IP address to a static address appropiate for your network.
9) '0' to save and exit.
Answer yes to clear the log file (kepts is short if you need to dump the log later).
10) If you have a DTivo AND it asked to disable initrd when you ran nic_install, AND you have not run tivoflash before, then you need to run tivoflash:
Do NOT run tivoflash on a SA!
If you were previously running any software such as telnet, ftp, cachecard drivers etc then tivoflash has already been run - do not run it again.
11) Reboot PC (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and then turn off to remove harddrive.
If you changed the jumpers on the harddrive then don't forget to change them back.
12) Install harddrive, turbonet/airnet/cachecard, and network cable (turbonet/cachecard) into tivo.
13) Power up and test. For a cachecard watch for the red light on the cachecard - it indicates that the memory is being accessed.
14) If running tivo software 3.x then to enable the daily call over the network - go into the tivo phone menu and set the dialing prefix to <comma><hash><4><0><1>. If there is a call waiting prefix then remove it. Note - if configured for DHCP then you may need to reboot again.